First Bobcat!!!

esorensen

So Stevie Wonder and I went out yesterday for a little coyote action. I got a shot at a coyote at 920, but the range was erroneous. ( It ended up being somewhere around 940-950 after he got up and moved on us.) The result was a clean miss and a coyote that is now still running thru Kansas. The windage was good though!

Anyhow after a couple of other stands, we headed for a series of drainages that were filled with cedar/pinon/juniper stuff that is so prevalent in the foothills here. I used the FOXPRO with a huge 12v battery that can stand the cold here and let out a few minutes worth of dying cottontail.

Lo and behold, who decides to show his face after 10 minutes or so was Mr. Tom. Mr. Tom made the unfortunate choice to expose himself to better discern the unfolding situation from underneath a pinon 245 yards distant by Swaro measure. A quick bracket of Mr. Tom between the first and second stadia of the VH reticle on the Leupold, and Mr. Tom got to meet Mr. 87 VMAX.

Mr. 87 VMAX has yet to meet any of our local varmints and antelope that he didn't like! Enjoy, Eric
IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the props. As Steve (sscoyote) can attest, it takes me more than a few minutes to be able to make a long range shot. (Past 600 yards or so, where the VH reticle leaves off and I have to dial for elevation.) I have to call the local AWOS for a weather update, enter some information into a Kestrel Weather Station, make some entries into the iBallistic program on my iPod, make a scope adjustment, take a wind reading, make a scope adjustment, and so forth.

A lot of practice with a good rifle and an incredible load, make it seem at least a little more plausible. With some of today's quality weapons and reloading gear, and some electronic gadgetry, it is surprising what can be accomplished. I didn't grow up in a hunting or shooting household and had no preconceived notions of what could or couldn't be done. Solid marksmanship skills and some hi-tech devices have really extended my comfortable shooting range.

Real nice cat.

Next time you get one and want to display it, I suggest holding it by the back legs as I feel that pose makes for a better picture.

Real pretty cat. I hope you are planning on doing something with him.. Rug, life size, or just a tanned pelt!

Nice. My first bobcat went on the wall. Something special about that first 'cat! Congrats. Did you wiegh him? Looks to be pretty good size.

The cat weighed 24 lbs. by bathroom scale. He is currently on a stretcher drying and will be tanned and hung on the wall.

The rifle is a stock Armalite AR10T 24" Barrel 1 in 10 twist. It WILL stabilize the 105 Berger to over 1K. I have replaced the buffer spring with the Tubb and added the CWS system too. I swapped out the trigger with a Gieselle (sp) unit that I absolutely love. The scope is a VXIII 6.5-20 with the VH reticle. I might be forgetting something else.

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I kinda like holding it by the scruff of the neck. I think it added something to the photo. Just me though.

The comeups that were posted were very close. I gave 21.6 IPHY, and hit at the coyotes' feet. I had a 1 shot kill last year at 785 and the 87 VMAX passed thru the chest easily. I also shot an antelope this year at 712 yards and it too was a one shot kill. That VMAX hit the shoulder joint, blew a hole into the ribs and shredded part of both ventricles. No exit, but no tracking either.

I figured around 800 ish yards would be the outside practical application for this load for me. However, one well placed shot will end any dogs' day regardless of FPE.

Tim, I'm really looking hard at your sling and call carrier systems.

Last edited:
Back